Here’s an update on how I’m doing with my One Little Word this month.
As I said in the last post, my OLW is FOCUS. I chose it because I have no
focus. Nope, not a bit. Example: I started this post four different times, but
got distracted and never finished it. See??
Here’s what I'm doing so far in my journey with FOCUS.
First, I’m wearing my Mudlove band that says “focus.”
I’ve worn it without
taking it off (it’s waterproof) since the 11th of January, the day
it arrived in the mail. I wear it by itself or with other bracelets, from cheap
to expensive ones. It goes with everything.
I look at it all the time because it’s there in plain sight. I have it
turned to face me to make sure it catches my attention. Although I’m sitting around
staring at my FOCUS bracelet, no one else is. To date no one else seems to have
noticed it. Or maybe they have and just think I’m weird.
Secondly, another prompt I bought is the word “focus,” that was handmade from
recycled material by Colleen Attaras:
It’s 16 inches in length. Colleen is a mixed-media artist,
and she often works with salvaged materials. Isn't it cute?
Even the packaging for my salvaged word was cute. Colleen taped it to
cardboard for shipping. Look how she decorated the cardboard:
That’s a handmade bookmark tucked under the “u” of “focus.”
My word is now hanging on a wall by my computer. See:
I could write a lot about the significance of these items to me, but I
won’t. (You’re welcome.)
In case you can’t read it, the quote in the upper left corner says,
“Creativity is contagious. Pass it on.” It’s from Albert Einstein.
That’s Isaac Hayes in the photo. Perhaps you recognize him by the
chains.
How I came to have a photo of him personally autographed to me is a
story for another day. He lived in our neighborhood at the time of his untimely
passing. Once when walking by our house our Old English sheepdogs barked at
him. He said, “Cool dogs.” There’s a little-known Isaac Hayes fact for you.
Thirdly, besides having FOCUS on my arm and on my wall, I have it in my bullet journal. In the last post I showed the pages I made for FOCUS. Here’s how they
look taped into my bullet journal:
So, how am I doing with my word? Horrible. Because I want to FOCUS
doesn’t mean I have a clue how to go about it. My mind is still all over the
place. I continue to start stuff but get distracted before I finish.
However, I am experiencing success in one area, and that’s my daily
Bible reading and study. I’ll write about that later. For now I’ll just say I
haven’t missed a day since I decided to get serious about the Bible on January
the first. Some days I find myself sitting there for two, and occasionally
three, hours with my Bible (actually two), my notebook, my iPad, and my fancy
pen-holder bag-thing with its ever-growing collection of pens.
I mention my Bible study not to brag, but to say I’m shocked I am
focusing on something and doing it intensely and intentionally. Besides
learning a lot and spending time with God, I’m feeling there’s hope I’ll be
able to focus on other areas.
Thanks for stopping by!






Look at you go! I'm so happy to hear what you have accomplished so far. Let's stay "focused" on the positive, ok?
ReplyDeleteOne of my FOCUS areas for 2016 is handmade greeting cards for charities. My goal for January was 100 Valentines for children in hospitals (Winter Sim's Cards from the Heart Card Drive) and 10 cards for the monthly Ronald McDonald House. My stash for RMH was just about down to nothing but I hope to replenish by the end of the month and get my 10 cards in the mail to the organizer. The Valentines had to be mailed by Tuesday and due to unexpected appointments last week, I only got 72 done by the mailing date. Boo!!!
Another focus area is organizing/cleaning/decluttering my craft room and I'm happy to report I've organized all my metal dies.They are now so easy to find! It will definitely make crafting less frustrating.
So January has brought some successes and some failures for me, too. It's all about progress, right? Please tell me it is!!! And baby steps count, right?
I hope we can BOTH find more FOCUS in this year, Pat! I have a FOCUS bracelet on my arm and the word on my wall, yet not much focus ~yet~. So, this week I ordered a FOCUS coffee mug! =)I'm really impressed with your card making. Not only are you focusing on making cards, but you're also focusing on doing good for others. Win/win! We can do this!!
DeleteWow, I love how your pages look in your bullet journal!
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree, just because you want to 'do' your word, it isn't just that easy! My word is Choose, and I was doing great at the beginning of the month, when I was working with the prompts and doing my album, but I stopped focusing on the word so much once I was done that. I'm glad that Ali mentioned next month's prompt with include recording a 'daily something'... I'm hoping that will help stick with it!
Thanks, Nicole! Choose is a big word. I don't know what I'd do with that, but I like it. I think I'll add it to my list of possibilities for next year.
DeleteI, too, am excited about the daily thing for February. It will probably be more helpful than staring at the band on my arm and the word on my wall. =)
On a side note, why does your name sound familiar to me? Maybe Project Life?
Wishing you the best with CHOOSE!
XO!
Donna
Hi Donna. This is my first year doing OLW and my word is also FOCUS. I am so glad I ran across your blog. I have lacked a lot of focus in the past, with my weight and health especially, with God and growing closer to him, with my husband and son, and freelance graphic design taking a lot of my time that should be spent with them. This year I am hoping I can focus on those key aspects of my life and actually feel better overall at the end of this journey. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI, too, hope you find more focus on these critical areas of your life in 2016, Jennifer. What a blessing if/when one little word can lead to big changes in our lives!
DeleteAre you on Facebook? If so, you might want to check out the private, subgroup cleverly called "One Little Word Subgroup - FOCUS." It's private, in that only the group can see posts, but it's open to anyone.
Wishing you well with your word!
XO!
Donna
I am on facebook! I can't find the group. Could you send me an invite? Here is my facebook username - jkaycasey
DeleteThanks!