Here is my two-page spread for Week Nine
of my 2015 Project Life/pocket page album:
As I’m looking at these two pages, I just
realized I left off info about the Academy Awards on the first of March.
In 2013 and in 2014 (where I was way behind;
still am) I included a lot of current events. This year when my pages are
running only about a week behind, you’d think I’d remember what happened a week
earlier. I can look at photos and remember lots of details. But since
I don’t have photos of current events on the local, national, and international
level, I don’t remember them when I need to remember them.
Can we talk about one of the ugly side
effects of the aging process? I knew you’d want to. Okay, here it is anyway:
short-term memory loss.
Now what were we talking about? Oh, yes!
Short-term memory loss. Here’s how it looks. After my shower, I’m getting
dressed and I wonder, did I just put on lotion? I know I took a shower because
a damp towel is next to me. But there is no tangible hint for the lotion. This
doesn’t happen every day, but it happens often enough to be really annoying.
And that’s just one example. Forget
remembering numbers from five minutes ago. Also, I can be introduced to
someone, but I’m not going to remember the name a few minutes later. The good news
is that I never could remember names, so this one is not too scary. (I know a
lot of name-remembering tricks. None have ever worked for me.)
Peter found some supplement on the internet that is supposed to help with short-term memory loss. He ordered it for us. It didn't seem to work, but then again we couldn't remember to take it. Haha!
Occasionally my long-term memory leaves the building, too. I’ll be in the middle of telling about something, when suddenly I can’t remember the name of the city or the person or the movie or whatever I’m talking about. Not to worry. I WILL remember that one, but I will remember it at an inappropriate time, like during the middle of the night. People don’t seem to appreciate me texting them at that moment with the missing noun.
From what I've read, B vitamins seem to boost memory. Here is the summary of a study, which shows that older adults who took vitamin B12 and folic acid supplements for two years had greater improvements on short- and long-term memory tests than those not taking the supplements. This is not the most recent study, but it's the only one I could easily find that is not linked to specific products. (I don't want you to click on a link in my blog and get ads for the rest of your life.)
Before I forget it, here is a closer look at the whole left side of Week Nine:
Here is a closer look at the right side
of Week Nine:
credits:
- Just Jaimee: 2015 Storyteller – Quinn (available by subscription for a reduced price) and random elements from other Just Jaimee kits
- Amie Lamm-Griffin: weekly 2015 Brush Script Titles Cards
- Word Art World: “Dance” word art on left page
- Words from Shakespeare – something I found on the internet
This
is the first week I can remember where I did NOT use any Ali Edwards word art.
I can’t imagine how that happened.
Thanks
for visiting my blog! Remember to record the little things; one day they might
be the big things. One day you might need your scrapbooks to refresh your
memory.
(Some
photos are blurred for privacy.)



What was I going to post about?
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah, short term memory. My "where am I, what am I doing" moment typically occurs in the shower. I'm wetting my hair, but is it just to get it wet, to rinse the shampoo out, or to rinse the conditioner out? My excuse is that it's early and, if I'm thinking at all, I'm lost in planning the major events of the day. Or what I'm going to eat for breakfast.
You may have meant it as a joke but I really am scrapbooking to preserve memories that I might not recall someday.
Pat, I do the shampoo/conditioner thing, too! And you can be sure I'm thinking about food most of the time. But you'd think I could get ready in the mornings with a functioning brain. I follow the exact same routine almost every day, and yet I do lost in the routine. I don't know if it's more scary or frustrating.
DeleteNo, the scrapbooking-for-recall comment was not meant as a joke. I didn't start out scrapbooking for that purpose, but already my scrapbooks are coming in handy to help me remember things.
Thanks for your comments, Pat! Good luck with your shampoo and conditioner! =)
*get lost =)
DeleteOh, I hear you about the short-term memory loss, and I am only 44 years old! ;-)
ReplyDeleteTo remember (inter)national events, I make printscreens from news sites. With my iphone or ipad it's simple and quick. Or sometimes I google for images.
As always, I love your pages!
Thanks, Edith! I intend to take screenshots or do print screens from news sites, but I forget. =) I, too, Google for images after the fact. The main thing is I need a consistent way to remind myself about current events I want to include.
DeleteOur scrapbooks are going to be treasured possessions as we age, for sure.
Thanks for commenting!