I’ve started AND completed the January portion of One Little Word. (Note:
I started AND finished something!!)
First, I had to choose my
OLW. It wasn’t difficult this year. I used last year’s word – FOCUS – because I
sure didn’t use it last year. Oh, how I need FOCUS in my life.
After choosing my word, my next step was to go shopping. I can focus just fine on shopping, so I figured why
not start my focusing journey with a successful experience?
What to buy? It seems a lot of OLW folks make their word visible throughout
the year by wearing it on a bracelet or necklace or by having some artwork that
features the word. I found several Etsy shops who sell such things. I ordered a
“salvaged word” from one of them. I’ll show it to you after it arrives.
I bought my bracelet from Mudlove for two reasons: their products are
very reasonably priced, and every product purchased provides one week of clean
water to someone in need in the Central African Republic. Read about their
story here. Here is my bracelet:
Side note: I noticed on The Bachelor this week that Bachelor Ben is
wearing one of Mudlove’s bands. His says “hope.” That’s not the best show (it's mesmerizing like watching a train wreck), but it’s good advertisement for Mudlove.
After choosing my word and buying stuff, the next step was to figure
out the format for my monthly OLW pages.
Most people make a separate OLW album. Some people include the pages in their
Project Life albums.
I chose neither of those options, because I prefer to reinvent the wheel. I’m putting the pages in . . . (wait for it) . . . my bullet journal!
I chose neither of those options, because I prefer to reinvent the wheel. I’m putting the pages in . . . (wait for it) . . . my bullet journal!
This is my year to have one place for all my notes, lists, and
journaling. I’ll still be working on PL scrapbook albums and on Bible study
journals, but everything else will be in my bullet journal.
The OLW pages will be the first thing I put in my bullet journal each month. Win/win! I love my bullet journal so much that I WILL do my OLW monthly pages the first of the month so I can get right into setting up the month itself.
The OLW pages will be the first thing I put in my bullet journal each month. Win/win! I love my bullet journal so much that I WILL do my OLW monthly pages the first of the month so I can get right into setting up the month itself.
I had to do some reworking of the cards and worksheets to make them fit my template. I also jazzed them up a bit, because that’s what the other class participants did. I ended up with four pages for January. They're below.
First January page with some
prompts completed:
The word “focus” is by Rhonna Farrer of Rhonna Designs. The rest of the
cursive words and the stars are from Ali Edwards. The photo is my current
Facebook profile picture. It was taken on my birthday while I was holding an
overflowing platter of pancakes freshly made by my son Blake. Who wouldn’t have
a smug smile when possessing all the pancakes?
Second January page with
some more of the prompts completed:
The photo on the bottom is from our stay in Destin. I used it to fill
blank space, because I didn’t have anything to say on the bottom. And if I
think really hard, I can make it fit “FOCUS.” The sun certainly aids focus by
keeping the world visible. Those lights provide direct focus on the pier where
they’re located. Most importantly, the colors coordinate well with these pages.
Third January page, which
started out as a worksheet, but I digitally made it into cards for
consistency with the other pages:
The font for the title of each card is Floraless Regular. The text is my handwriting that I had made into a font. The lens thing with FOCUS in the center is what I made for my OLW
symbol. I found the lens image by googling “lens images.” I’m very clever like
that.
The fourth and last January page,
which also started out as a worksheet:
Here is what the first two pages look like after I printed them and glued them into my bullet journal:
So, there. I’ve made my OLW project public. I hope this will help keep me accountable for following through with this project. And I sincerely hope to learn to FOCUS.
Are
you keeping a bullet journal or pursuing a word this year? If so, I'd love to hear from you about your experiences. If you’re interested, I’ve started a Pinterest board
for One Little Word: Focus.
Thanks for stopping by!
PS. If you made it all the way to the bottom of this post, you really have perseverance! I'll try to keep future posts shorter.
PS. If you made it all the way to the bottom of this post, you really have perseverance! I'll try to keep future posts shorter.




Love your OLW pages, Donna. And congrats on getting them done!
ReplyDeleteMy OLW for last year was COMPLETE. Because I'm really good at starting projects, not so good at finishing them. Failed miserably. Why? Too many projects started (with the best of intentions).
So my word for this year is..... (get ready for it)...... FOCUS. Like you, my goal is to choose fewer projects and see them through to completion. And, yes, I did buy a bracelet, too.
We are kindred spirits!
Pat, instead of replying to your comment, I replied to my blog. How's that for focus? My reply is below.
DeleteWe certainly are kindred spirits! I failed every year on OLW, and you know I never finish a thing. If you post anything anywhere about FOCUS, I'd love to see it. Send me a link. Also, are you on Facebook? There's a group there called One Little Word Subgroup - FOCUS, in addition to Ali's OLW group.
ReplyDelete