2012-12-20

20 December 2012 — Thoughts on My Hair Dryer


For centuries some people have believed the world is coming to an end on 12-21-12, because that’s when the calendar of the ancient Mayans stops. So far so good! In some parts of the world it’s already the 21st of December, yet no part of the world seems to have experienced the apocalypse so far. But if the world were going to blow up, I guess it would all go at the same time . . ..

While people are thinking about the end of the world, I’ve been thinking about my hair and the scrapbook pages I posted yesterday. I can’t believe I posted a photo on the web that showed me blow-drying my hair.

There’s a point to this post, and I’m getting there. I love Becky Higgins' Project Real Life class I’m completing this week. If I hadn’t taken the class, the photo of me and my blow-dryer would never have been taken. Right now that may not seem like a momentous photo (and it probably never will be a momentous photo).

The important thing is it shows real life right now. I would LOVE to have photos of my mother or grandmother doing their hair. I remember they “rolled” their wet hair on brush rollers. Then they put a giant bonnet over the rollers and plugged it into the wall. The bonnet with a motor attached to it was a hair dryer. Back then nothing was wireless and few things were portable, so ladies sat in a chair and were glued to the spot while their hair dried. These things were actually super cool “back in the day.”

Maybe one day my kids or grandkids will look at my scrapbooks and pause when they see me pointing that thing at my head. My kids will remember me spending hours with the thing. My grandkids will most likely think it’s prehistoric. Who knows how they’ll dry their hair? They’ll probably think their hair dry.

Take photos, people! And don’t forget the everyday, real life moments. They connect the past and the present and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment