A multi-talented man and his family lived
in the house behind our house when I was growing up. Our families were so close
that a gate was installed between our two back yards so we could come and go freely
between houses.
The man’s name was Fred V. “Buster”
Scott. Among other things, he was a Marine in World War II (fought in the
South Pacific), a polio survivor, a Tennessee Highway Patrolman, a Boy Scout
leader, and a Harley-Davidson enthusiast. He will be especially remembered for
his detailed paintings of the Civil War.
Buster’s Civil War paintings form a
19-panel painting that specifically commemorates Civil War battles in
Tennessee. When they are lined up end-to-end, they create a U-shaped, panoramic
view of the entire state and its bloodiest era. Four panels are devoted to the
two-day-long Battle of Shiloh in southwestern Tennessee.
The panels are large; some of the panels
measure over four feet in width. The paintings are also quite detailed; some
show hundreds of soldiers. Buster made some of his paint brushes, which
consisted of only a few hairs.
His son Kenny, I mean, Ken (he’s all grown
up now) sets up Buster’s Civil War paintings for the public to view. Peter
and I finally got to see them in February. My description does not do them justice.
It’s one of those things you have to see to appreciate. Totally phenomenal.
Here’s one of the paintings, which shows
the Battle of Murfreesboro in middle Tennessee:
In addition to the panoramic panels, Buster
did other Civil War paintings. Here is Ken explaining a painting of Nathan
Bedford Forrest, a controversial man in history, but one who was nevertheless
part of Tennessee’s Civil War era:
Here is Ken with me:
Funny side fact: I was his babysitter
when he was a little kid. No, I don’t feel old at all.


Nice looking man but you look like you should have been the one being babysat!
ReplyDeleteWonderful story!