2015-08-21

Adding digital stamps to your photos

Subtitle: You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

I love word art. I buy it like there's no tomorrow [Southern expression], right Peter? =) 

I buy sets of word art and use them in Photoshop on photos and journaling cards when I make my Project Life weekly pages. Here is an example from an earlier week this year: 
Specifically, the word art on the above photo is "game night" by Ali Edwards. What exactly is "word art?" To me, it means modifying words and perhaps using different fonts together so that the result is, well, pretty words.

Why use word art? The text on the right top of the above photo was sufficient to tell the story behind the photo, but, in my opinion, the addition of the "game night" word art took this photo up a notch. Also, if you glanced at this photo, you'd have a good idea of what it's about without reading the text block. So, word art is about adding interest and brief bits of info to photos.

Word art is fun to use, too. As I've mentioned before, I'm a SERIOUS collector of digital word art, especially that done by Ali Edwards and Rhonna Farrer

Besides using word art on my computer, I also use it on my phone. Many photo-editing apps include word art. For example, I made this for Instragram using a photo I took last week in Torrey Pines City Park (outside of San Diego, CA) and word art from the Vrsly:
Vrsly offers mostly inspirational word art, and it's usually done in brush script, often by known brush script artists. Every day a new Vrsly is offered for one day only. You can use it as is or as an overlay.

Sometimes I'm the last person on the block to figure out something. No, sometimes I'd never figure out something obvious if someone didn't tell me. 

Case in point: I have word art on my computer and mostly different word art on my phone. Who knew you can use word art from your computer on your phone? Thank you, Cathy Zielske, for this video that explains the process. Here's the photo she used as an example:
The white arrow with "LOVE" is from one of her digital stamp kits.

I did NOT know I could import the word art stored on my computer to my phone via Dropbox until I watched Cathy's video. No Photoshop or Photoshop Elements needed.

(The word art by Rhonna overlaps both computer and phone usage. You can buy her word art from her website for your computer, and it's available through her app for your phone.)

Now I can get more use out of the word art I buy for my computer, or, as they say, more bang for my buck. And that's a good thing, right, Peter?

Here's a photo I made today for Instagram showing my brilliant grandson who was piloting a boat on the Intracoastal waters off Jacksonville the other day, although he's only three:
The Ali Edwards' word art is from my computer to my phone via Dropbox. Love.

PS. I only have the free amount of Dropbox storage. For now I'll only transfer word art as I need it. In other words, I'm not copying all of my word art from my computer to my phone, because I'd have to pay for a much larger Dropbox account. And I'd be transferring until the cows come home [Southern expression].

Happy photo embellishing!

2 comments:

  1. You had me at "take word art from your computer to your phone without Photoshop". Off to check it out. Thanks.

    P.S. I'm working on my WITL pages having given up on PL this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm jealous of you! I always want to do WITL, but it always seems ridiculous in light of everything I'm doing but not finishing. Like I need another unfinished project . . .. I know yours will be fabulous! If you share it anywhere, please give me a link.

      Delete